FITNESS REIMBURSEMENT BENEFIT
You and/or your family can save up to $150 (per individual/family plan) per calendar year in health club membership fees. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts must receive your fitness benefit application by March 31 of the following year for processing.
Qualified for fitness reimbursement:
- A full service health club with cardiovascular and strength-training equipment like treadmills, bikes, weight machines, and free weights.
- A fitness studio with instructor-led group classes such as yoga, Pilates, Zumba, kickboxing, indoor cycling/spinning, and other exercise programs.
- Personal training sessions (taught by a certified instructor), tennis facilities/lessons.
- Subscriptions for online cardiovascular related fitness classes such as yoga, Pilates, Zumba, kickboxing, indoor cycling/spinning, and more. This is a temporary benefit for 2021 and will be reviewed prior to the next calendar year.
|Note: The 2020 benefit allowed certain cardiovascular exercise equipment (new or used) to be used at home. The equipment is limited to treadmills, stationary bikes, stepping machines and revolving stairs, rowing machines, and elliptical machines. This benefit for equipment was only for 2020 and has not been extended to the 2021 benefits.|
There are two ways to apply for the fitness reimbursement: BCBS must receive your form by March 31 of the following year.
- Online by logging into MyBlue OR
- Complete a fitness reimbursement form. Forms can be mailed to the address listed on the form or faxed to (617) 246-9480.
If submitting a request for reimbursement of exercise equipment, the member should only fill out the “Total dollars requested” field on the reimbursement form. The member does not need to check the “Membership fees” or the “Fitness class fees” boxes. The member can put what the exercise equipment item was in the “Name, Address, and Phone Number of Qualified Fitness Program” field.
WEIGHT LOSS REIMBURSEMENT BENEFIT
With the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts weight loss reimbursement benefit, you or your family can receive up to $150 toward fees paid for a qualified weight-loss program. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts must receive your weight loss benefit application by March 31 of the following year for processing.
Qualified for weight loss reimbursement:
Participation fees for:
- Hospital-based programs and Weight Watchers® in-person.
- Weight Watchers® online and other non-hospital programs (in-person or online) that combine healthy eating, exercise, and coaching sessions with certified health professionals such as nutritionists, registered dietitians, or exercise physiologists.
Not qualified for weight loss reimbursement:
- One-time initiation or termination fees.
- Food, supplements, books, scales, or exercise equipment.
- Individual nutrition counseling sessions, doctor/nurse visits, lab tests, or other services that are covered benefits under your medical plan.